Saturday, September 26, 2009

One year today . . .






. . . since my dad left this earth. I have missed him more this month than I have in the past year, I think. Mostly because I know how much he loved his grandchildren, and I feel so sad that he never got to meet Lilli. He would have adored her, and she would have loved her Pa. He knew we were adopting and was happy for us, but we didn't see any pictures of Lilli until March, so he never even got to see a picture of her. I pray someday they'll get to meet face to face!

I wish he could have seen our new home, the one that he was so instrumental in us having. When we started the renovation, we decided to keep the foundation to the original home. It saved a little money, but it had a more symbolic meaning to me: my dad laid that foundation, and it is on that foundation that our new home rests. It is a comfort to know that at least some of the work he did to give us a home will remain as long as the house is standing.

But with the sadness I feel for myself and my family, I also feel great joy for him. He is free from the pain and suffering he endured his last few years, and can rest in the promise fulfilled. I would never call him back to this earth and take him from his new life with Christ. As the Bible says, we do not grieve as those who have no hope.

No comments: